2023 Szerző: Elijah Galbraith | [email protected]. Utoljára módosítva: 2023-05-22 00:05
freezing apple pie slices, or even a whole pie, is one way to make sure that you have pie available when you want it.
freezing apple pie slices, or even a whole pie, is one way to make sure that you have pie available when you want it. baking a frozen apple pie is much faster than trying to make a whole pie from scratch, and so a frozen unbaked pie can come in handy when you're in a pinch.
here are the steps to follow if you're baking a frozen apple pie, as well as an apple pie recipe with a healthy twist; you can prepare the pie and freeze it, and then bake it when you need it.
baking a frozen apple pie
follow these steps to bake a frozen, unbaked pie:
- keep the pie frozen: do not take the pie out of the freezer until you're ready to bake it; that will cause the pie to thaw and it will get all soggy. in fact, the frozen pie should also be the last thing you pick up at the grocery store, after you've selected all your nonperishable items - if you're using a store-bought pie that is. the usda food safety and inspection service explains that keeping frozen food out can affect its quality and cause it to spoil.
- place the pie in the oven: preheat the oven to 425 degrees fahrenheit. when the oven is almost done, take the pie out of the freezer, unwrap it, cut a few slits in the top layer and place it in the oven.
- bake the pie: the mayo clinic recommends baking the pie at 425 f for 15 minutes, then reducing the temperature of the oven to 350 f and baking it for another 40 minutes or until the apples are tender. the apples should be soft when pierced with a fork and the crust should be golden brown. if the edges of the crust are burning, you can cover them with tinfoil.
healthy apple pie recipe
the mayo clinic lists an apple pie recipe that substitutes a combination of rolled oats, whole-wheat flour and ground almonds for refined flour. you can prepare this pie and freeze it, and then follow the directions listed above to bake it when you're ready. freezing apple pie slices that are left over and reheating them is also an option.
pie crust ingredients:
- 1 cup of dry rolled oats
- 1/4 cup of whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup of almonds, ground
- 2 packed tablespoons of brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons of canola oil
- 1 tablespoon of water
- 4 large tart apples, peeled and sliced (usapple.org recommends mcintosh, crispin, granny smith or golden delicious apples)
- 1/3 cup of frozen apple juice concentrate
- 2 tablespoons of fast-cooking tapioca
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder
here's what you need to do:
- prepare the crust: mix the dry ingredients in one bowl and whisk the oil and water together in another. add the oil and water to the dry ingredients and knead the mixture to form a dough. add a little more water if required. press the dough into a pie plate that is 9 inches in diameter.
- make the filling: combine all the ingredients for the filling and let the mixture rest for 15 minutes. give it a good stir and then spoon it into the pie dish.
- freeze the pie: wrap the pie in plastic wrap and put it in the freezer. follow the instructions listed above to bake it.
- freeze leftovers: if you're freezing apple pie slices that are leftover, you can wrap them up and freeze them, and then reheat them in the oven at 350 f, until warm.
according to the mayo clinic, each slice of this pie provides 204 calories, 29 grams of carbs, 8 grams of fat and 4 grams of protein.